Healthy and Delicious Simple Steamed SalmonFinding time in the evening to make a properly nutritious meal after a hard day's work (and a long commute in my case) can be difficult. All to often I used to grab whatever was quick, and normally unhealthy, and required minimal washing up.
Now I find I am a lot more discerning about what I eat, but I still have the constraints on my time. This salmon dish has become a go-to dish for when I want something simple, healthy but still delicious. It takes less than 30 minutes in total to make and is perfect for when you want a no-fuss supper or lunch.
Serves: 1 - 2 (Easy to adapt as necessary)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
*Watch the Steamed Salmon recipe video*
Salmon steaks (one or two per person)
Spring onions, sliced
Fresh ginger, sliced
Sea salt or salt
Vegetable or olive oil
1. Clean and debone the salmon steaks and set aside
2. Slice the ginger and spring onions
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and place the salmon steaks skin side down. Fry for a few minutes until the skin turns golden, remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Sprinkle the ginger and spring onion over the salmon steaks and season with sea salt and soy sauce.
5. Bring some water to the boil in a large pot and steam for 6 - 8 minutes until the salmon is cooked. Alternatively you can steam in a rice cooker using a metal steamer stand. Place the salmon in the cooker approximately 8-10 minutes before the rice has finished cooking.
6. Heat two tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil in a sauce pan until it smokes. Place some fresh spring onion over the steaks and season again with soy sauce. Pour the hot oil over the salmon (take care not to burn yourself!) and serve as desired.